UNIVERSITY OF DAR ES SALAAM
DAR ES SALAAM UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
Faculty of Science Academic-Undergraduate Studies
The Faculty offers courses leading to an award of Bachelor of Science with Education (B.Sc. (Ed.)) degree, which is obtainable after three years. Currently, the faculty offers the following undergraduate degree programmes:
- Bachelor of Science (Biology and Chemistry) with Education
- Bachelor of Science (Biology and Geography) with Education
- Bachelor of Science (Mathematics and Chemistry) with Education
- Bachelor of Science (Mathematics and Geography) with Education
- Bachelor of Science (Mathematics and Information Science) with Education
- Bachelor of Science (Physics and Chemistry) with Education
- Bachelor of Science (Physics and Mathematics) with Education
- Bachelor of Science (Physics and Biology) with Education
- Bachelor of Science (Chemistry and Geography) with Education
- Bachelor of Science (Mathematics and Economics) with Education
Regulations Governing the Award of B.Sc. (Ed) Degree
The Faculty of Science operates a semester system of studies. Each of its disciplines offers a variety of courses, including core courses, which are compulsory to students majoring in the subject and optional courses. Each course is given a credit weighing according to the time devoted to it on the timetable. Fifteen one-hour lectures or 15 two to three-hour practical classes constitute four credits. Thus, for example, a course consisting of 30 one-hour lectures and 15 three-hour practical classes is a twelve credit course. Seminars and discussion groups are not counted in the weighing unless they make up more than a third of the total teaching hours in a course. Each student shall register for courses totaling 120 CREDITS (MINIMUM) AND 144 CREDITS (MAXIMUM) per academic session. A minimum of 388 credits must be passed for an award of B.Sc. (Ed.) degree in a three years programme and the maximum load should be 432 credits. Passing a course shall mean scoring a C grade or higher.
- All students admitted to the Faculty of Science shall major in two subjects starting from their first year of study.
- In addition to core courses required for his/her major subjects, Development Studies, Communication Skills and Environmental Science; a student may choose as an elective any course for which she/he can meet the prerequisites/co-requisite requirements and which is compatible with the teaching timetable.
- At the end of the academic year every student shall, in consultation with his/her Academic Advisor, map out his/her course programme for the next year. A course programme shall be subject to approval by the Head of the Department in which the student intends to major and by the Dean of the Faculty. The Dean’s approval shall constitute formal enrollment for all the courses listed in the programme. For first year students, mapping of the course programme will be done during the orientation week.