- Name: Joseph Christopher Pesambili
- Sex: Male
- Designation: Lecturer
Postal address: University of Dar es Salaam,
School of Education,
P.O Box 35048,
Dar es Salaam-Tanzania
University of Dar es Salaam,
School of Education Building,
Office number ……….
Mobile phone (s): +255 (0) 753 013 872
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com
5. Area of Interest:
- Indigenous knowledge and education
- Anthropology of education
- International education and development
- Teacher education (teacher professional development)
- Comparative and international education
- History of education
- Gender and education
- Research methodologies (qualitative, indigenous, ethnographic, mixed research etc.)
6. Academic and professional roles:
- Teaching: both undergraduate and postgraduate courses
- Supervision: supervises postgraduate students on areas of interest (above)
- Research: my current research focuses on teacher professional development in the Global South
- Consultancy: provides consultancy services on various educational issues (see areas above)
- Examination: works as internal and external examiner for both UG & PG students.
7. Educational and professional history
- PhD in Education, University of Sussex (2018), Brighton (UK)
- Master of Arts in Education, University of Dar es Salaam (2012), Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)
- Bachelor of Arts with Education (Honours), University of Dar es Salaam (2009), Dar es Salaam (Tanzania).
8. Research Projects
- August 2020 to October 2020: participated as a team member (under Prof Yusuf Sayed, Principal Investigator) in a research project commissioned by the Open Society Foundation and Education International on “Crises and the COVID-19 pandemic: education responses and choices during times of disruptions in Sub-Saharan Africa (Cabo Verde, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Mozambique, South Africa, Uganda)”.
- April 2020- to date: participates as a team member (under Prof Yusuf Sayed, Principal Investigator) in a research project commissioned by the Department of Basic Education (DBE) and Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) on “Developing an Impact Evaluation Tool for Continuing Professional Teacher Development (CPTD) Programmes in South Africa.”
9. Publications (selected)
- Pesambili, J. C. (2021) ‘Glocalised research design: exploring the encounter between Indigenous and Western methodologies among the Maasai Pastoralists in Monduli, Tanzania’, AlterNative: An International Journal of Indigenous Peoples, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.1177/11771801211037900.
- Pesambili, J. C. & Novelli, M. (2021) ‘Maasai students’ encounter with formal education: Their experiences with and perceptions of schooling processes in Monduli, Tanzania’, International Journal of Educational Research Open, 2–2, pp. 1–9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijedro.2021.100044.
- Pesambili, J. C. (2020) ‘Exploring the responses to and perspectives on formal education among the Maasai pastoralists in Monduli, Tanzania’, International Journal of Educational Development, 78, pp. 1-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijedudev.2020.102267.
- Pesambili, J. C. (2020) ‘An exploration into the encounter between Indigenous and Western education at Noonkodin School in Eluwai, Monduli, Tanzania’, Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, pp. 1–19. doi: 10.1080/03057925.2020.1733390.
- Pesambili, J. C. & Mkumbo, K. A. K. (2018) ‘Implications of female genital mutilation on girls’ education and psychological wellbeing in Tarime, Tanzania’, Journal of Youth Studies, 21(8): pp. 1111–1126. doi: 10.1080/13676261.2018.1450969.
- Pesambili, J. C. (2013) ‘Consequences of female genital mutilation on girls’ schooling in Tarime, Tanzania: Voices of the uncircumcised girls on the experiences, problems and coping strategies’, Journal of Education and Practice, 4(16): pp. 109-119. Accessible online at: http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEP/article/view/7368.
9. Workshops, Seminars, and Conferences
- I participated in a workshop organised by the Centre for Continuing Education in cooperation with SIDA-Mathematics Project at UDSM on ‘Training Course for PhD Supervisors’, which took place from 18th-19th October 2018 (first phase) and another workshop from 19th to 21st November 2018 (second phase).