The Institute of Kiswahili Studies offers one undergraduate degree program, i.e. BA KISWAHILI.
OBJECTIVES OF BA KISWAHILI PROGRAM
BA Kiswahili Program has the following objectives:
- To enable students to develop Kiswahili skills and nurture them through the knowledge which they get at the undergraduate level;
- To prepare students to pursue postgraduate studies (Masters and PhD) in linguistics, literature and publishing in Kiswahili;
- To prepare Kiswahili experts to work in various areas responding to the current needs, such as teaching Kiswahili courses in various institutions, media, publishing companies, government departments, international organizations and other areas related to Kiswahili studies.
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES OF BA KISWAHILI PROGRAM
- To enable students to apply fundamental principles of explaining, analysing, and making criticism languages to gain an understanding of Kiswahili linguistics and literature. These principles will enable students to understand and value the linguistic and literary power of the language and make them capable of using it in various language use contexts.
- To impart practical skills and methods to students in creative writing, article writing in Kiswahili language and literature, interpreting and translation as well as in teaching Kiswahili for foreigners;
- To impart skills and knowledge to students on communication, editing and publishing;
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION INTO BA KISWAHILI PROGRAM
General requirements of the University of Dar es Salaam for admission are fulfilled. However, to be enrolled in BA Kiswahili program, an applicant should have, apart from other subjects, studied Kiswahili subject at form five and form six and have a grade of at least, “D” average or equivalents.