As part of the implementation of the University of Dar es Salaam Internationalization Strategy in an effort to promote student and staff mobility, the Directorate of Internationalization, Convocation and Advancement has initiated a new buddy program from the 2019/2020 academic year.
This is a volunteer-based program that pairs continuing host students (Tanzanian) with newly admitted foreign students at the University of Dar es Salaam. It aims to integrate international students into UDSM/Tanzania's way of life. The program provides a great opportunity to local and international students to share experiences and create an everlasting bond.
Who is eligible to participate as host buddy?
Any continuing UDSM student is eligible to participate in this buddy programme.
- Full-time enrolled UDSM undergraduate student
- Excellent written and verbal communications (In both English and Kiswahili)
- An open mind with ability to respond to student questions in a timely manner and provide relevant transition information to incoming international students
- Cultural sensitivity (awareness of the international perspective and willingness to work with a diverse group of international students)
- Enthusiastic and committed
How the Buddy Program works
- The UDSM International Program runs for two semesters in each academic year
- The International Office receives a Buddy request from a new international student and finds a matching volunteer for them
- DICA emails an incoming student the details of his/her international Buddy
- The two (incoming student and host buddy) organize their meeting
Host Buddy’s Responsibilities
- Complete a mandatory training (on communication, intercultural awareness and student psychology)before the beginning of the semester.
- Contact and interact with an assigned buddy through the contact information they provide, both before they arrive and in person, once they are here
- Fully participate during the Orientation Week
- Maintain regular contact with your buddy for the entire semester/year
- Respond to your buddy’s questions as accurately as possible, or refer him/her to the appropriate source of information
- Be a good representative/ambassador of the University of Dar es Salaam
Problems expected to be solved by this programme
- Finding housing and accommodation
- Registration challenges
- Course related difficulties
- Problems with administrative procedures i.e. student ID, enrolling and dropping courses
- Immigration issues i.e. study permit, visa and passport
- Uncertainty about where to get clothing, food, furniture, school supplies, household items etc.
- Difficulties in identifying key areas on campus (lecture rooms, library, cafeterias, etc)