GATAMBWA DENNIS MUKANDALA
Lecturer , College Of Natural And Applied Sciences
PhD in Biomolecular and Biomedical Sciences (Neuroscience Department) from University College Dublin (UCD)
Dr. Mukandala is currently involved in teaching the following courses:
- Vertebrate Anatomy and Physiology I
- Vertebrate Anatomy and Physiology II
- Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics
- Advanced Physiology
- Biological Methods and Techniques
Research interests: He is very passionate in researching non-communicable diseases that affect the brain and spinal cord. There needs to be more research conducted in this area in Africa.
- Parkinson’s Disease and its Social and Economic Impact in Tanzania: 2018 – 2020.
- Etiology of Poor Pregnancy Outcomes in HIV-1 positive Pregnant Women on Antiretroviral Therapy: 2018-2020.
- To assess the Epidemiology and distribution of Hydrocephalus in Children at Muhimbili National Hospital in Dar Es Salaam Region: 2017 –todate.
- A role for CREB but not COX-2 in the TNF-alpha-induced potentiation of LTP post hypoxia: 2017 – todate.
- Effect of CAG extended repeats on CUG-BP1 in cultured cells. August2003 – May 2004.
- Bit1 Mediates Apoptotic Function in a Phosphatase Dependent Manner:September – December 2007.
- Lanigan, S., Corcoran, A.E, Wall, A., Mukandala, G., and O'Connor, J.J. Acute hypoxic exposure and prolyl-hydroxylse inhibition improve synaptic transmission recovery time from a subsequent hypoxic insult in rat hippocampus. Brain Res. 2018; 1701: 212-218.
- Mukandala, G., Tynan, R., Lanigan, S., and O'Connor, J.J. The effects of hypoxia and inflammation on synaptic signaling in the CNS. Brain Sci. 2016; 6(6): 1-14.
- Mukandala,G 1., Wall, A.M1., Greig, N.H., and O'Connor, J.J. Tumor necrosis factor-α potentiates long-term potentiation in the rat dentate gyrus after acute hypoxia. J Neurosci Res. 2015; 93(5): 815-829.
- Gaultier, A1., Wu,X., LeMoan, N., Takimoto, S., Mukandala, G., Akasoglou, K., Campana,W.M., and Gonias, S.L. Low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein1 is an essential receptor for myelin phagocytosis. Jour. Cell Sci. 2009; 122(8): 1155-1162.
- Mantuano, E1., Mukandala, G., Li, X., Campana, W.M., and Gonias, S.L. Molecular Dissection of the Human Alpha2-Macroglobulin Subunit Reveals Domains with Antagonistic Activities in Cell Signaling. Jour. Bio. Chem. 2008; 283(29): 19904-19911.
- Krygier, E1., Lin, G., Mendes, J., Mukandala, G., Azar, D., and Jones, A. Segmental Dynamics of Head-to-Head Polypropylene and Polyisobutylene in their Blend and Pure Components. Macromolecules. 2005; 38(18): 7721-7729.