Described by Professor Fimbo as the doyen of the School, Josaphat Laurean Kanywanyi is the eldest member of staff. He is a Professor of Law. Born in November 1938, Prof Kanywanyi obtained a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1966 from the University of Dar es Salaam, Master of Laws in 1967 from the University of California, Berkeley and a PhD in 1987 from the University of Dar es Salaam. Prof Kanywanyi’s stay time with the School is as far back as the early years of the School itself. He joined the School, first, as a student in 1963, and, second, as a staff member in 1967. In 2017, Prof Kanywanyi marked 50 years of teaching at the University.
Professor Kanywanyi’s life at the School has also seen him engaged in several administrative activities. From 1998 to 1999, he was the acting Chief Academic Officer of the University of Dar es Salaam. He had been Dean of the School during 1974-1979, 1982-1985 and 1991-1994. With this record, Prof Kanywani has, hitherto, served the School longer than any other Dean. Prof Kanywanyi has also served in other capacities in the University, including being a member of UDSM School of Law Board since 1967, UDSM Senate member (194-79, 1982-85, 1991-1994 and 2000) as well as Member, University of Dar es Salaam Appointments Committee 2002/07.
Outside the University, Prof Kanywanyi has served in many organisations with distinction. From 1975 to 1982, he served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Bank of Tanzania. He also served as a member of the Bank of Tanzania Board of Directors Standing Committee from 1979 to 1981. For 27 years since 1980, Prof Kanywanyi served as a member of the Judicial Service Commission. He had also served as Acting Justice of Appeal in 1993 and 1994. Between 1998-2000, he was the Judge President of the COMESA Court of Justice.
Professor Kanywanyi is an advocate of the High Court of Tanzania since 1978. He is also a Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths. He is a member of the Tanganyika Law Society and the East Africa Law Society; Bar Associations for Tanzania Mainland and East African Partner States, respectively.
Professor Kanywanyi specialises in Banking Law and Insurance-Social Security Law. He may be contacted at:
Addresses: University of Dar es Salaam School of Law, P.O. Box 35093, DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania; and,
Kanywanyi, Mbakileki, Mtaki & Nditi, Advocates, NIC Life House 5th Floor, Wing C, Ohio Av./Sokoine Str., P.O. Box 35005, DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania;
E-mails: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Kanywanyi <email@example.com>.
Mobile phone: +255 754 580 568/655 ...
Prof Kanywanyi has served as an external examiner to the following institutions;
- Haile Selassie I University, Faculty of Law, 1972.
- The University of Nairobi, Faculty of Law, 1974 – 1975, 1979 – 1980, 1989 – 1991.
- The University of Makerere, Faculty of Law, 1983 and 1985, 1993 – 1995, 2005.
- The University of Zambia, School of Law, 1984 and 1985.
- The University of Zimbabwe, Department/Faculty of Law, 1986 – 1989.
- The University of Swaziland, Department of Arts and Law, 1992 – 1994.
- Law School of Tanzania, 2010 – 2015.
Prof Kanywanyi has made some external assessment of academic publications (for Promotions/appointments) and other academic matters in the following institutions;
- The University of Zimbabwe, Faculty of Law; Department of Private Law (for two staff members in each case) 1989/90: 1991/92
- The University of Makerere, Faculty of Law, 1992, 1995; 2001.
- The University of Tumaini, Dar es Salaam College, 2007 – 2012.
- Hubert Kairuki Memorial University, 1999 – To date.
- Higher Education Accreditation Council (HEAC) and Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU), 1999 - To date (on an on and off basis).
- St. Augustin University (SAUT) Self-Assessment External Reviewer Team’s Report ( with two others), October- December 2017.
- The Kampala International University Tanzania (KIUT) (Member of Chancellor's Visitation Committee) May-June, 2018
- UNAFRI Workshop on Reform of Penal Laws and Procedures, 15th – 19th March 1993, Kampala, Uganda.
- University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM): Review of UDSM Retirement benefits Schemes for Academic Staff; 1996/97.
- UDSM: Review of University of Dar es Salaam Act and Proposal for a framework Higher Education Act, 1997; 1999, 2000.
- Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences (MUCHS): Draft “Muhimbili University of Health Sciences Act,” (1999).
- Republic of Rwanda: Higher Education Policy and Higher Education Act (1999 – 2000).
- University College of Lands and Architectural Studies (UCLAS): Draft UCLAS Act (1998).
- Hubert Kairuki Memorial University (HKMU): Draft Charter/Constitution for the University (Jan. – Nov. 1999); (2006/07).
- UDSM: Draft UDSM Staff Retirement Benefits Scheme (2000).
- St. Augustine University of Tanzania (SAUT): Draft Constitution for the University (1999/2000).
- International Medical and Technological University (IMTU): Draft Constitution of the University (1999 – 2001).
- Aga Khan University (Tanzania) [AKU (T)]: Draft Constitution of the Aga Khan University (T) (2001).
- Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education (through UDSM): Proposed Draft Bill, the Higher Education Act, 2000.
- Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education, Proposed Draft Students Loans Board Act, 2001.
- UDSM: Draft Charter of the University of Dar es Salaam (2005/06).
- UCLAS/ARDHI: Draft Charter of the Ardhi University (2006/07).
- DUCE: Draft Charter of the Dar es Salaam College of Education (2006/07).
- MUCE: Draft Charter of the Mkwawa University College of Education (2006/07).
- Ministry of Labour, Employment and Youth Development: “Local Consultant in the Consultancy for Proposal for the Establishment of the Workers’ Compensation Fund of Tanzania” (2006 – 2007) (Provided crucial component on law and practice in Tanzania).
- ILO Regional Director, Addis Ababa: “Legal Opinion regarding the basis for an Annex on Social Security to the EAC Common Market Protocol” (2010).
- Ministry of Health and Social Welfare & Social Security Regulatory Authority (Supported by P4H Germany & Switzerland) (Consultants: J. Bultman, J. L. Kanywanyi, H. Maarifa, G. Mtei): “Tanzania Health Insurance Regulatory Framework Review” (March 2012).
- Tanzania Insurance Regulatory Authority (TIRA): “Expert Opinion on Third Party Passenger Legal Liability Claims” (June 2013).
- Supervisor, NORAD-sponsored Women’s Law M. Phil programme, University of Zimbabwe, 1991 – 1993.
- Member, Presidential Committee to Review the Constitution of the United Republic of Tanzania about specified matters (1992 – 93)
- National Chairman, Walio Katika Mapambano an AIDS Tanzania (WAMATA), Oct. 1993 – 2003.
- Member, Task Force for Review of Social Security Sector, under the Ministry of Labour, Employment and Youth Development (2006 – 2007).
Awards and Honours
- Kai Uwe von Hassel Scholarship for best 2 Tanzanian LL.B. students studying at Dar 1963/64 – 1965/66.
- Best Improved Student Prize, 1965.
- AFGRAD Fellowship for LL.M. Course at University of California (Berkeley), 1966/67.
- IUC (British) Senior short-term research award. January – April 1980 (for Ph. D. Research in London).
- Swedish Institute Senior Research Fellowship, May 1989 (for research into Swedish Social Insurance Law and Practice, in Stockholm).
- Senior Research Fellowship, University of Bergen, Faculty of Law, 15th August – 15th December 1989; 9th March – 15th August 1990.
- Senior Research Fellowship, Karl – Marx University of Leipzig, 8th January – 8th March 1990.
- “Land Distribution and Land Use: Land to the Tiller and away from the neglectful” with R. James, in S.M. Mbilinyi (ed.): Agricultural Research for Rural Development, ERB Paper 973; UDSM (1968) (pp. 163 et seq).
- “The Harmonisation of Land systems in East Africa” in J. Obol-Ochola (ed.): LAND LAW REFORM IN EAST AFRICA Milton Obote Foundation Kampala (1969). Chap. 10 (pp. 167 – 222.)
- “Some Major Divisive Factors Affecting Efforts toward Achieving African Unity” in PROCEEDINGS OF THE COLLOQUIUM ON REAL PROBLEMS OF AFRICAN UNITY. Algiers (1971).
- “Need to Rethink on Compulsory Third Party Insurance Scheme in Tanzania.” Vol. 4 Nos.1& 2, E. A. Law Review (1971) (pp.35-65 & 91 – 107).
- “Tourism Benefits Imperialism” in I.G. Shivji (ed.) TOURISM AND SOCIALIST CONSTRUCTION. TPH, Dar es Salaam (1972).
- “U.S. Policy towards Southern Africa”. The new Outlook No. 1st December 1976.
- “The Crisis in African Universities”. Philosophy and Social Action (PSA) – Philosophy, Development and Science Policy, Vol. 14 No. 3 July –September 1988) (pp.3-10).
- “Post – World War II Nationalism, Neo-colonialism and International Cooperation”, SOCIALISM IN THE WORLD Vol. 64 (1988), Cavtat, Yugoslavia (pp. 47-64).
- “Tanzania Legislative and Legal System – an Outline.” Det Juridiske Facultets Skriftserie Nr.24. Universitetet i Bergen (University of Bergen, Faculty of Law (Jan./Feb. 1990) (pp.33).
- “Struggle to Decolonise and Demystify University Education: Dar’s 25 years’ Experience Focused on the Faculty of Law (Oct. 1961 – October 1986)”, E.A. Law Rev. Vol. 16 (1989) No.1 (pp.1 – 69), also appears in Zimbabwe Law Rev. Vol. 7 (1989) (pp. 31 – 56).
- “Theoretical Problems of Ujamaa” in J. Hartmann (ed.), Re-Thinking the Arusha Declaration. Centre for Development Research, Copenhagen (1991) (pp. 44 – 53).
- “Enabling Legal Framework for the operation of a local Capital Market in Tanzania: Past Experience and Future Requirements”. E.A Law Rev. Vol.19 (June 1992) No.1 ( pp. 1 – 39).
- “An Outline of a History of Law Faculty of the University of Dar es Salaam”, being Chapter One of Sengondo E.A. Mvungi (ed.) Forty years of the Faculty of Law, University of Dar es Salaam, 196 – 2001 (published in 2002) (pp.1- 27).
- “Academic Freedom, the Autonomy of Institutions of Higher Education and the Social Responsibility of Academics”. In Journal of Higher Education in Africa. Vol. 4 No. 2, 2006, (pp.69-81).
- “The University of Dar es Salaam from a Single ‘Brick’ to a ‘Sky-scraper’: October 25, 1961 – October 25, 2006.” The Dar Graduate. Journal of the University of Dares es Salaam Convocation. New Series Vol 6 No 2 (pp.1-27).
- “Challenges of the Legal Profession in ‘Liberalized’ Tanzania.” Orient Journal of Law and Social Sciences (A Monthly Journal). Volume - III, Issue – 8 July 2009 (pp.8-31).
Published Books/Chapters in Books
- National Social Security in Tanzania: Why, for whom; by whom, for what? A General Socio-economic Review of the Policy, Law and Practice from Colonialism to Ujamaa and beyond. (Public Lecture in Commemoration of the 5th Anniversary of the Death of Mwalimu Kambarage Nyerere, 14th October 1999 – 14th October 2004. DUP Dar es Salaam, 2009 (pp.100).
- The Tanzania Legal System: Strengths and Challenges. Christian Professionals of Tanzania (CPT), Dar es Salaam, January 2009 (pp. 98).
- “Open-ended Features in Constitutionalism and Cultural Attitudes in East Africa: Basis for Prevalence of Corruption, Poor Public Servant Responsibility, Accountability and Public Services Delivery.” Johannes Doveling et al. Constitutional Reform Processes and Integration in East Africa. Tanzania-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL), Dar es Salaam University Press (DUP) Dar es Salaam, 2013 (pp. 8-48).
- “Legal Integration and Law in EA – Some Major Challenges.” Josaphat L. Kanywanyi, Ulrike Wanitzek, Anatole Nahayo & Johannes Doveling (eds), Regional Integration and Law: East African and European Perspectives, Dar es Salaam, University of Dar es Salaam Press (DUP), 2014, TGCL Series 4, (pp 1 et seq.)
Other Research Papers and Writings
- “Legal and Related Problems of Land Use and Land Distribution in Tanzania (Mainland)”, LL.M. Dissertation, the University of California (Berk.) (1967).
- “Law in a Developing Country with Special Reference to Tanzania” Paper presented to the Judges and Magistrates Conference 1967, DSM.
- “The Struggle against Imperialism: A Popular Outline”. Mimeograph, UDSM (1976) (pp. 100).
- “All Support for the (Zimbabwe) Patriotic Front”: Statement of Solidarity on behalf of the University of Dar es Salaam community at the rally to support the Patriotic Front held on 2nd November 1979, UDSM Main Campus. See TAAMULI: A Political Science Forum, Vol.8 NO.2, Dec. 1978 (pp. 44 – 49).
- “Law of Workman’s Compensation, Pensions and Related benefits in Tanzania: Summary, Assessment and Resolution Speech” – read at the Seminar on Pensions and Related Benefits organised by the Department of Economic Law, Faculty of Law, UDSM (Sept. 1986) (pp.14).
- “The Late President Moises Machel – A Biographical Note” Literature Dept., UDSM (1987) (pp.10).
- “The Effect of nationalisation and Ujamaa-Socialism on Insurance Law and Practice in Tanzania: A Study in the Political Economy of Insurance”. Ph. D. Thesis, UDSM (1987).
- “Utekelezaji wa Azimio la Arusha”, being part of “Tathmini ya Miaka 20 ya Azimio la Arusha” by an ad-hoc sub-committee of CCM Central Committee/NEC (Jan. 1987) (pp.12).
- “Compensation for Industrial Injury or Death of an Employee without and under Employer’s Liability Insurance Cover in Tanzania”. Paper presented at the Seminar on Industrial Safety, Law and Industrial Risk Management, Department of Economic Law, Faculty of Law, UDSM (30th March-3rd April 1987) (pp.28).
- “Third Party Liability Insurance for Public Carriers: Rail, Road, Marine and Air”. Paper presented at the Seminar on the Law Relating to Carriage (Transportation Laws), (21st – 24th May 1987) (pp.15).
- “The Uprising in the Occupied Territories: Implications for the Palestine question”. Paper presented at the Workshop on the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestine People, 29th November 1988, Mulungushi Inter. Conference Centre, Lusaka, Zambia (pp. 16).
- “The Legal Issues of the Palestine Question: The Legality of Zionism’s Claim, the Balfour Declaration and the Palestine mandate”. Paper presented at the LAT-sponsored Round Table Discussion on the Legal Issues of the Palestine Question (25th March 1989) (pp.32).
- “Negotiable Instruments: Some Basic Definitions Principles and Rules.” Study Paper No.2: Lecture delivered at the School of Accountancy Arusha, May 1988; being used as teaching material in Commercial Law, Department of Economic Law, Faculty of Law, University of Dar es Salaam (pp.26).
- “Principled Unity in Democratic Struggles: Some Lessons for the South African Struggle”. Liberation No. 14 June/August 1989. (pp. 26 – 28).
- “CRITIQUE OF HYPOTHESES AND THESES ON THE ‘ORIGINS’ OF MODERN INSURANCE: Towards More Comprehensive Hypothesis and Theses” Book Manuscript under process (Vol.1) (approx. pp. 145).
- “INSURANCE LAW AND PRACTICE IN COLONIAL EAST AFRICA: A Study in the Political Economy of Insurance Business in a Colonial Situation – Emphasis on TANZANIA”. Book Manuscript under process (Vol.3).
- “INSURANCE LAW AND PRACTICE IN POSTCOLONIAL EAST AFRICA: A Study in the Political Economy of Insurance Business in a Reformist Neo-colonial Situation – TANZANIA as a Case Study”. Book manuscript under process (Vol.4).
- “The Socio-economic Basis of Penal & Procedural Laws of Post-Colonial African Countries and Prospects for Reform”. Paper presented at the UNAFRI Workshop on Reform of Penal Laws and Procedures, International Conference Centre, Kampala, 15th – 19th March 1993 (pp. 47).
- “The Protection of the Interests and Rights of Women and Children in the Penal & Procedure Codes”. Paper presented at the UNAFRI Workshop on Reform of Penal Laws and Procedures, International Conference Centre, Kampala, 15 – 19 March 1993 (pp. 27).
- “Proposed legislation to regulate the Insurance Industry and Contractual Savings in Tanzania”. Paper presented at the Insurance Institute of Tanzania (IIT) Panel Discussion on Legislation to Regulate Insurance Industry and Contractual Savings in Tanzania; Institute of Finance Management (IFM), Dar es Salaam, 3rd November 1994 (pp. 16).
- “Report of Special Committee on Court Ruling on the 211 1st Year Engineering Students of EM 100”. Subscribed to by Mr F.D. Luoga and Mr H. Nassoro, 1995 (pp.29).
- “Human and other Legal Rights of People Living with HIV/AIDS”. Paper delivered at the Symposium of the 2nd Annual Meeting of the Association of Private Hospitals in Tanzania (APHTA), 10th -11th November 1995, Kilimanjaro Hotel, DSM, (pp.6).
- “Proposed UDSM Land Use Policy: Legal Implications for UDSM”. Paper presented at the workshop on Alternative Modes of Diversification of Funding of the University of Dar es Salaam Operations: Investment in University Land. Kilimanjaro Hotel, Dar es Salaam, 6th September 1996. (pp.11). See UDSM/PMU: Proceeding of the Workshop on Alternative Modes of Diversification of Funding of The University of Dar es Salaam Operations: Investment in University Land. Kilimanjaro Hotel, Dar es Salaam, 6th September 1996. Appendix VI.
- “Legal Implications of UDSM Land Development Plans”. Paper presented at The Third Consultative Meeting on UDSM Transformation Programme. UDSM 19th - 20th September 1996. (pp.15).
- “Informal Social Security Practices and their underlying Norms and Principles Old and New” Paper presented at the Panel Discussion on Social Security at the Social Welfare Institute, Kijitonyama, on 8th March 1997 (pp. 17).
- “Final Report on the Proposal for Reform of UDSM Retirement Benefits Schemes for Academic Staff and Pensionable Technical and Administrative Staff.” Consultancy Report to UDSM about the “Institutional Transformation Programme PMU/UDSM-2000”. Dar es Salaam, May 1997 (pp. 187 + 91 of Appendices).
- With Dr N. N. N. Nditi“Final Report on Proposals for a New Flexible University of Dar es Salaam Act and a Framework Higher Education Act.” Consultancy report to UDSM under the “Institutional Transformation Programme PMU/UDSM 2000”. Dar es Salaam, December 1997. Supplementary reports on proposed Higher Education Act: in 1999/2000 (pp. 100).
- “Insurance Brokerage and Agency under a Liberalised Competitive Market in Tanzania: A Legal Perspective.” Paper presented at the 19th Conference/AGM of the Insurance Institute of Tanzania, Hotel Agip Dar es Salaam 12th December 1997 (pp. 33).
- “Ethics and Professionalism in a competitive Insurance Market: The case of Tanzania.” Paper presented at the Institute of Insurance (IIT) 2nd Annual Insurance Day, September, 4th – 8th, 1998 at the Sheraton Hotel, Dar es Salaam (pp.19).
- With Dr N. N. Nditi“A Draft Bill: University College of Lands and Architectural Studies Act, 1998.”. Consultancy work is done for UCLAS. Dar es Salaam, April 1998 (pp. 15).
- With Dr N. N. Nditi “Final Report on Draft Bill and Memorandum of Understanding Relating to the Separation and Future Cooperation of MMC and MUCHS/PMUHAS and Related Matters.” Consultancy Report to the Ad-hoc Committee on Restructuring MUCHS. Dar es Salaam, December 1998 (pp.88).
- With Dr N. N. Nditi “Toward Amendment of the Constitution of the United Republic of Tanzania: Justiciability of Right to Education and Establishment of Education Fund.” A write-up for the Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education. February 1999 (pp. 10).
- With Dr N. N. Nditi “Hubert Kairuki Memorial University Constitution Trust Deed and Trust Rules.” This was a Consultancy work for a private University which was facilitated the accreditation of that institution as the first of its kind in Tanzania to attain full registration as such. October/November 1999.
- “The LL.B. Programme: Students and Teaching – some Observations and Discussion Notes.” Paper for discussion by Law Faculty members at the Curriculum Review Retreat, the Livingstone Hotel, Bagamoyo, 17th August 2000 (pp. 8).
- “Issues of Research at the Faculty of Law: Past Present and Future”. Paper of notes for discussion at a two-day conference on implementation of the Work Plan for Directorate of Research and Publications, University of Dar es Salaam, Belinda Beach Resort, Dar es Salaam, 29th – 30th September 2000 (pp.11).
- “Investment in University Land: Legally Recommendable Modes”. Paper for UDSM Internal Workshop Programme Regarding DEVELOPMENT OF INVESTMENT POLICY, MUCHS –SOME (Multipurpose Building) 5th October 2000(pp.11).
- “The Law, the Lawyer, and Justice in Tanzania: Legacy of the Past, Challenges of the New Millennium” (pp.9) Speech, as Guest of Honour, on the occasion of “A Lawyers Millennium Party” hosted by the University of Dar es Salaam Law Society (UDLS) at the Water World Hotel, DSM, 13th October, 2000 (pp. 9).
- “Investment in University Land and Other Areas: Legally Recommendable Modes.” A revised and expanded paper for guidance to UDSM; February 2001 (pp.24).
- “Medical/Health Insurance. General Considerations on Law and Practice and Relevance to Tanzania.” Paper presented at the Seminar on Health Insurance and Managed Health Care, Relevance to Tanzania.” UDSM Nkrumah Hall on 28th September 2001 (pp.19).
- “The Main Features of the Proposed Tanzania Education Network (TEN)”. Paper presented at the 8th Annual Consultative Workshop of the University of Dar es Salaam Institutional Transformation Programme, 13th, 14th September 2001, UDSM Main Campus (pp.12).
- “COMESA and its Organs: Role of the COMESA Court of Justice”. (Resource people) Paper presented at the Orientation Workshop for Judges of the Court of Justice and Members of the Legislative Assembly of the East African Community, Lake Manyara Hotel, Arusha, 1st – 4th December 2001 (pp.25)
- “Challenges of the Legal Profession in “Liberalized” Tanzania” Key-note paper presented at the Open University of Tanzania General Annual Meeting and Seminar of the Convocation, 20th March 2002 (pp.40).
- “Nyalali na Maendeleo ya Taaluma ya Sheria”, in Uongozi wa Maadili Mfano wa Nyalali, published by Christian Professionals of Tanzania (CPT), Dar es Salaam, 2003 (pp.33 – 47).
- “Diagnosis of the Difficulty of Resolving Commercial Disputes and Enforcing Contracts in Tanzania.” Paper presented, at the request of the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs to a World Bank Workshop on Resolving Commercial Disputes and Enforcing Contracts: Improving the Legal Framework for Doing Business in Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, on 29th May 2006 (pp. 14).
- “Problems and Challenges Facing Lawyers in the Faculty of Law.” A presentation at UDLS LAWYERS’ Day, 16th September 2006 at Nkrumah Hall, UDSM (pp.10).
- “Proposed Workers’ Compensation Draft Bill – Some Explanatory Notes.” A presentation of a Resources Person’s paper at a Stakeholders’ Meeting held at Haidery Plaza Building, Dar es Salaam, on 28th September 2006 (pp.9).
- “Uongozi na Sheria ya Maadili” (Leadership and the Law). A presentation as a Discussant’s paper at The Mwalimu Nyerere Foundation 10th Anniversary Seminar held at Karimjee Hall, Dar es Salaam on 01 - 03 December 2009 (pp. 7).
- “Some Important Historical Facts and Events on the Palestine Question.” Paper presented as an aspect of the theme ‘The Palestine Question at the Present Conjuncture’ on the occasion of the observance of the 29th November UN Day on Palestine at the University of Dar es Salaam on 8th December 2009 in Nkrumah Hall (pp.13 inclusive of the annexed chart).
- “Final Report on Proposals for a Hit and Run Fund of Tanzania.” Prepared and submitted to the Insurance Technical Team (ITT) of the Financial Sector Reform Programme (FSRP) under the Bank of Tanzania (BoT) June 2010, with Mr. .. Saqware and A. Mushi as members of a report preparatory group chaired by Prof. Josaphat L. Kanywanyi (pp. 44).
- “Clerics on the General Elections in Tanzania 2010: Constitutional and Legal Proposals.” Paper prepared for an aborted UDSM School of Law (Formerly Faculty of Law) Staff Seminar: ‘Towards General Elections 2010’, August 2010 (pp.16).
- “Legal Opinion regarding the legal basis for an Annex on Social Security to the EAC Common Market Protocol.” Consultancy under ILO Regional Director, Addis Ababa, External Collaboration Contract, 20 August – September 2010 (pp. 13).
- “What are the dominant motivations in people’s public behaviour?” Paper presented at the Mission Congress held at the Consolata Mission Centre, Bunju, Dar es Salaam, under the theme, ‘The Challenge of the African Synod II’, 4th – 7th November 2010; (pp. 13). It appears in the Proceedings of the Congress: TANZANIA UMISIONARI WAKO UKO WAPI? Kongamano la Kimisionari. Consolata Mission Centre – Bunju, 4 – 7 Novemba 2010, pp. 34-48.
- “Umuhimu wa Maadili Katika Kuunda Katiba Mpya“. Paper on general macro socio-economic, socio-political and political-ethical considerations for a good and legitimate modern constitution, presented to a general Staff-Student Congregation at St. Augustine University (SAUT), Nyegezi, Mwanza, 14th April 2011.
- “My 12 Years of Deanship: Some Reflections”. Paper for presentation at the Conference for the 55th Anniversary of the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law, 1961 – 2016 held at the University of Dar es Salaam, 1st – 2nd December 2016 (12 pp, without, 17 pp. with Appendix). December 2016.
- As one of IFM Team, “Final Report on Consultancy Services to Develop and Propose Opinions for Development of Life Assurance Industry in Tanzania.” Submitted to the Tanzania Insurance Regulatory Authority (TIRA), October 2016 (pp…)
- As Lead Consultant, “Proposed Draft Tanzania Information and Communication Technologies Commission Bill, 2017 for an Act”, principal aspect of a three-part Consultancy Report submitted by the Institute of Management and Consultancy (IMC), Dar es Salaam to the Tanzania Ministry of Works, Transport and Communication, January, 2017 and still (01.02.2017) under consideration by the Ministry (pp. 34).
- “Reflections On Moral Revival Movement And Social Protection”. Paper for General Discussion. Presented at a joint CPT and UDSM Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, UDSM Council Chamber, 2017 (pp. 24).