Mr. Petro Protas
Petro Protas is an Assistant Lecturer at the Department of Private Law. He joined the School as a Tutorial Assistant in 2015. He holds a Bachelor of Laws degree (LL. B-2015), and Master of Laws degree (LL. M-2016) from the University of Dar es Salaam. Being a dynamic and very committed young scholar, Mr. Protas serves as the timetable coordinator of the School of Law since 2016. He is also an assistant to the coordinator of the Regional Integration Project in Africa jointly run by the University of Dar es Salaam and the University of Bayreuth, Germany.
Mr. Protas may be contacted at email@example.com
Areas of Specialization
- Regional Integration and East African Community Law
- International Humanitarian Law
- Forensic Science and the Law
- Law of Forced Migration
- Land Law
Research Experience and Publications
- Legal Guide Against False Confession in Mainland Tanzania: A Critical Analysis of the Legal Means to Avoid Wrongful Conviction and Wrongful Acquittals emanating from False Confession, 2018.
- Naming of Culprits by the Dead: A Forensic Approach to the Crime of Murder in Mainland Tanzania, 2018.
- Reflections on ‘People Centered Principle’ in the East African Community: The Current Legal Controversy, 2017.
- Legal Challenges to Multimodal Transport in East Africa: A Case Study of Tanzania and Rwanda, 2017.
- The Role of the Law in the Fight against HIV/AIDS in Mainland Tanzania, 2017.
- Protas, P., False Confessions and Forensic Evidence, Seminar Presentation to Erasmus Students at Humboldt Universitaet zu Berlin in Germany on 8th December, 2016.
- Protas, P., Zanzibar within the East African Community, A Paper Presented to Master of Laws Students under TGCL at Mikocheni Campus, University of Dar es Salaam School of Law on 2nd March, 2016.
- Legal Challenges Relating to Disposition of Unregistered Land in Urban-Mainland Tanzania, 2015.
Seminars, Symposium, Workshops and Training
- Intensive Training on German and European Union Law, held at Bayreuth University in Germany from 4th to 8th September, 2016.
- Participation in the TGCL Autumn University organized by Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies on Regional Integration Law, Germany (Bayreuth, Nuremberg, Berlin) and Belgium (Brussels), from 9th September to 16th September, 2016. Institutions visited include:
- Participating in Research Stay at Humboldt Universitaet zu Berlin, Germany from 1st October, 2016 to 15th March, 2017.
- Participating in a Seminar on Forensic Science, its origin and development at Unter den Linden, Berlin Germany from 1st November, 2016 to 25th February, 2017.
- Participating on a Seminar on the Role of Forensic Science on Wrongful Convictions and Wrongful Acquittals at Unter den Linden, Berlin Germany from 1st November, 2016 to 25th February, 2017.
- Participating in the Legal Clinics: HIV Related Legal Services Workshop, organized by University of Dar es Salaam, School of Law Legal Aid Committee in Cooperation with International Development Law Organization (IDLO) from 2nd to 3rd October, 2017 at Whitesands Hotel, Dar es Salaam-Tanzania.
- Participating in Economic Analysis and Policy Seminar held by Prof. Dr. David Stadelmann, Faculty of Law, Business and Economics University of Bayreuth at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law Mikocheni Campus from 19th to 25th August 2016.
- Participating in Practical Training on Regional Integration and East African Community Law, held at East African Community Headquarters in Arusha-Tanzania from 8th to 15th March, 2016.
- Participating in Training on International Humanitarian Law, Public International Law and Human Rights Law during Jean – Pictet Competition held from 28th March to 4th April, 2015 at Charlottesville, Virginia, United States of America.
- Participating in the Training of Trainers (T.O.T) as a facilitator to the members of Police Force on the Rules of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Law, held at Kurasini, Dar es Salaam in August, 2015.
- Participating in Seminar on Modern Means of Warfare and the Rules of International Humanitarian Law, organized by the international Committee of the Red Cross during National Moot Court Competition on International Humanitarian Law in Tanzania from 23rd to 24th October, 2013, at Accomondia Hotel, Dar es Salaam-Tanzania.
- Participating in Training on Ensuring Respect for and Compliance with International Humanitarian Law, Organized by International Committee of the Red Cross during All African Moot Court Competition from 16th to 23rd November, 2013 at New Arusha Hotel, Arusha-Tanzania.
- Certificate of Successful Participation in the TGCL Autumn University organized by Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies in Germany (Bayreuth, Nuremberg, Berlin) and Belgium (Brussels) in 2016.
- Certificate of Successful Participation in the Advanced Training Seminar on Economic Analysis and Policy held by Prof. Dr. David Stadelmann, Faculty of Law, Business and Economics University of Bayreuth (Germany) in Cooperation with the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law at Mikocheni Campus in Dar es Salaam in 2016.
- Certificate of Successful Participation in the Jean-Pictet Competition held in Charlottesville, Virginia-United States of America from 28th March to 4th April, 2015.
- Certificate of Participation as a facilitator in the Training of Trainers (T.O.T) of Members of the Police Force on the Rules International Humanitarian and Human Rights Law, at Kurasini Dar es Salaam in 2015.