The University of Dar es Salaam Innovation and Entrepreneurship Centre (UDIEC) was established in 2015 to address observed challenges between generating knowledge generation and research at the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) vis-a-vis application of the knowledge and research outputs. In addition, the Centre addresses challenges related to imparting practical entrepreneurship skills to students, academic staff and SMEs in the country aiming at formation of new start-ups and increased competitiveness of existing companies.
UDIEC seeks to realize University-wide strengths and competitive advantages by making cross-cutting services like business, legal and management skills available to all University Units including science and engineering. This is in line with UDSM Vision 2061, which among other things, aims at maintaining its lead position in knowledge creation and sharing.
“To be a Leading Centre in Africa for enabling Entrepreneurship and Innovation”
“To facilitate entrepreneurship and demand driven innovation through practice oriented training quality education, business counselling and incubation to students, staff, MSMEs and other stakeholders”
Our Strategic Focus
In pursuit of the stated institutional vision and mission UDIEC is guided by the following objectives:
- Practice-oriented training and quality education in Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- UDIEC-Private sector-Government collaboration
- Incubation programme
- Business counselling services
- Innovation and entrepreneurship knowledge management
UDIEC Mandates and Functions
- To utilize the research outputs such as technologies, processes, approaches and products from Colleges/Schools/Institutes of the University of Dar es Salaam and other research and development institutions in the country to contribute significantly in creation of new economic activities.
- To put in place mechanisms that allow academic staff, graduates and individuals to convert their research outputs and/or business ideas to commercial companies.
- To establish a proper licensing system including Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) regime that would assist the promotion of effective commercialization of research outputs to encourage and reward innovation by Research and Development Institutions.
- To develop entrepreneurship knowledge, skills and competencies of academic staff, students and business people to create opportunities for self-employment and start-up businesses.
- To identify new markets based on research, thus creating new enterprises based on priority areas that could bring impact to socio-economic development of the country including diversifying of rural economies.
- To attract investment in innovation and commercialization of research results by creating funding mechanisms (Product Development Fund ) while increasing the scope and size of risk capital in the country.
- To collaborate with various experts in innovation and technology transfer world-wide to nurture innovation, entrepreneurship, intellectual property rights and technology evaluation.
- To establish partnerships with local, regional and international industry for regular exchange and communication to ensure research outputs are demand-driven and responsive to industry and market needs.
- To provide incubation services to all sectors of economy.
- To provide Business support services.
Business Development Services Offered by UDIEC to Industries and SMEs
- Business plan development.
- Technology assessment and its economics including product marketing.
- Advertising and marketing.
- Management and financial advisory.
- Business counselling, coaching and mentorship.
- Process machinery specifications, design and selection
- Identification of machinery supplier
- Evaluation of the existing manufacturing industry - process and machinery for improved productivity.
Our Core Values
The University of Dar es Salaam Innovation and Entrepreneurship Centre (UDIEC) has a number of core values which guide its staff in all decisions and operations.
- Professionalism - upholding the highest professional standard.
- Multidisciplinary/teamwork - making use of different skills and competencies of our staff.
- Customer focused - providing quality services to our customers.
- Accountability - being accountable for our actions.
- Ethical - operating with the highest ethical standard.
- Good governance - Ensuring the highest standards for good governance.