The College of Agricultural Sciences and Food Technology (CoAF) is a newly established college at the University that strives for “Enhanced quality outputs in teaching, research and public services” through addressing the following gaps:
- Inadequate value addition in agricultural and fisheries produce.
- Inadequate adherence to grades, standards and quality in agricultural fisheries products marketing.
- Weak institutional set-up for dealing with agricultural and fisheries marketing.
- Limited use of marketing risk management approaches
- Inadequate capacities to utilize opportunities emerging in the domestic, regional and international markets, including preferential markets.
- Low-yielding livestock due to poor breeds
CoAF operates from both the Mwalimu Julius K. Nyerere Mlimani Campus and Kunduchi Campus
Training in the College puts emphasis in the areas pertaining to postharvest technologies, processing, value addition, biotechnology, nanotechnology and innovations in agroand aqua-technologies. Specifically training will equip the graduates in the following fields:
- Irrigation engineering.
- Agricultural mechanization
- Climate change studies.
- Urban and peri-urban agriculture including horticulture.
- Post-harvest technologies especially agro-processing, value addition and marketing of dairy, poultry, meat, seafood, cereals, fruits and vegetables.
- Quality seed and feed technologies.
- Agricultural Bioengineering
- Fisheries Technologies
- Beekeeping sciences and technologies